Saturday 6 February 2021

Sanctuary Lamp

 An old one speaks to me tonight... It may bless you too... that we may all become Sanctuary Lamps leading to the Presence of the One who is the Source of Light:



Sanctuary Lamp.

Tonight
in the long quiet 
of moonless
midnight 
I will sit 
in the Holy Dark
of day done 
weariness;
work behind me,
pain within me,
chaos around me.
I will just 
sit,
and try to come
to the only 
stillness
in which true knowing is
possible;
sitting past the storms 
that rage
within and without
discovering,
discerning,
desiring,
I flounder
until my 
distracted 
eye is drawn 
to you,
faint flickering 
flame,
swinging serenely
in some tiny
blessed breeze.
Wondering at 
your wavering
light,
last
struck from 
resurrection
spark of long ago,
I will rest in 
your gentle
ministry of 
presence;
little lighthouse
for the storm-lost,
hearth fire
calling home
this weary 
wanderer.
Your light,
playing
upon the 
white washed 
wall
of sacred silence,
describes
an 
arc of grace
to be entered
only
barefoot
in burning bush
awe
and whispers 
in the desert 
places of my
ill-attentive soul
the name of the Love
you
guard,
solitary sentry
of the silent
hours,
and so 
I will come
to attention
too.
Tonight
in the long quiet 
of moonless
midnight 
I will sit 
in the Holy Dark
of night's deep 
healing,
activity behind me,
healing within me,
quiet around me,
and led by your blessed
beacon
I pray I may 
arrive at last to 
storm eye 
stillness,
in which the true knowing
is possible,
and become
myself,
again
and,
at last,
lamp
of
Presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment