Monday 8 February 2021

Becoming Fire...

 A day for the fire today so this old poem came to

mind with a few inspirations after it too...



Becoming Fire

Throw 
the old log
upon 
the fire
and watch
as it
surrenders 
its story
to the 
flames.
The dried out 
moss,
the brittle bark,
every old
yearly ring
and marking
from life,
now
consumed,
it becomes,
eventually,
itself,
fire.
Dancing 
now
as flame
its old 
earthy
life
forgotten
as it 
frees
old energy,
yielding
like
a lover
to the 
lick,
to the 
kiss,
of the 
flame;
cracking,
splitting,
breaking,
burning,
until
all
is 
given,
until all
is 
one
fire.
Afterwards,
you may 
watch 
the ash
fall through 
the grate
and ask
where did 
the logs 
go?
You could 
ask
the same 
of the
saints.
The answer
is the
same.
They too
yielded to the 
flame,
They too
became
fire.


"Yes, you may burn until you are translucent, but it is by way of this burning that your wholeness will be revealed." Matt Licata

Abba Lot went to see Abba Joseph and said to him, ‘Abba as far as I can I say my little office, I fast a little, I pray and meditate, I live in peace and as far as I can, I purify my thoughts. What else can I do?’ then the old man stood up and stretched his hands towards heaven. His fingers became like ten lamps of fire and he said to him, ‘If you will, you can become all flame.’
(Sayings of the Desert Fathers)

No comments:

Post a Comment